256 Newsroom — Uganda's Digital News Infrastructure
World

Europe, Canada condemn Israeli plans for new West Bank settlement

Share
Europe, Canada condemn Israeli plans for new West Bank settlement
Image · Al Jazeera

What the report says

European and Canadian governments have condemned Israel’s latest move to advance the E1 settlement project in the occupied West Bank, saying the plan is unacceptable and could carry legal and reputational consequences for those involved. In a joint statement on Thursday, the UK, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Canada and Norway urged Israel to withdraw the construction tenders for more than 1,200 housing units and stop expanding settlements in the territory.

Al Jazeera reported that the plan is widely seen as especially significant because it would help link occupied East Jerusalem with the Maale Adumim settlement bloc, using Palestinian land and potentially dividing the West Bank from north to south. The article said the project could undermine territorial continuity for a future Palestinian state and weaken prospects for a negotiated settlement. Egypt, Malaysia and the United Nations also criticized the move, with the UN expressing alarm over reports of new illegal Israeli settlement outposts.

The report noted that Israel had already given final approval to the E1 plan last year, and that Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich publicly backed it. Rights groups and UN-related research cited in the article warn that settlement growth, demolitions and settler violence have contributed to increasing displacement of Palestinians in the West Bank, particularly since the war in Gaza began in October 2023. Al Jazeera said the latest push comes amid rising regional and international concern and ahead of Israeli elections expected in October.

Read the full report at Al Jazeera →

Loading debate for this article…

Other publishers covering this story

No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Related reporting