256 Newsroom — Uganda's Digital News Infrastructure
World

Carney: Canada will enact retaliatory US tariffs starting September 8

Share
Carney: Canada will enact retaliatory US tariffs starting September 8
Image · Al Jazeera

What the report says

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said Canada will begin retaliatory tariffs on US imports on September 8, following Washington’s decision to impose 50 percent duties on nearly $20 billion worth of Canadian goods. Al Jazeera reported that Carney announced the response in Ottawa on Saturday, calling it a “focused” and “dollar-for-dollar” measure after talks with the US failed to produce a deal.

The planned Canadian tariffs are expected to target a range of products, including steel, dairy, appliances, agricultural equipment, paper and electronics. Carney said Ottawa had tried to reach an agreement that would protect Canadian workers and respect Canadian sovereignty, but argued that the final US terms were unacceptable and economically damaging. He also said last-minute US demands, including issues tied to car imports and Canada’s ability to pursue other trade deals, helped derail negotiations.

The dispute comes amid broader trade tensions between the two countries, long-time allies and major trading partners. The US tariffs had been announced earlier and were delayed once before the latest deadline expired. Al Jazeera said US officials signaled no new talks were planned, while Carney said Canada would keep pursuing trade diversification with other countries. The escalation matters because it raises the risk of a wider trade conflict that could affect supply chains and prices in both economies.

Read the full report at Al Jazeera →

Loading debate for this article…

Other publishers covering this story

No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Related reporting