256 Newsroom — Uganda's Digital News Infrastructure
World

Togo says it has 'serious' evidence against detained French filmmakers

Share
Togo says it has 'serious' evidence against detained French filmmakers
Image · France24 Africa

What the report says

Togo’s government said on Saturday that it has “serious and corroborative evidence” against two French documentary filmmakers and a Togolese fixer who were detained last month, according to France24 Africa. The three men — Gaël Mocaër, Sebastian Perez Pezzani and Fred Vedomey — have denied the charge of making false declarations, their lawyer said.

The French pair and their local colleague were arrested on July 27 and have remained in custody since then. In a joint statement, Togo’s justice and security ministries said the team had used a drone in areas officials consider sensitive because of the risk of jihadist attacks. The statement also said the filming authorisation applied only to Vedomey and was limited to specific locations, while alleging other irregularities in the assignment.

France24 Africa reported that the men appeared before prosecutors on August 17 with their lawyer. The documentary was being made for France Télévisions. Reporters Without Borders has called for the trio’s immediate release, and one of the men, Perez Pezzani, was described by RSF and his company as having serious health problems that may require urgent care.

The case highlights tensions around reporting and filming in security-sensitive parts of the Sahel region, where governments have increasingly restricted access because of jihadist violence.

Read the full report at France24 Africa →

Loading debate for this article…

Other publishers covering this story

No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Related reporting