256 Newsroom — Uganda's Digital News Infrastructure
World

US Supreme Court allows Trump’s ballroom project to continue for now

Share
US Supreme Court allows Trump’s ballroom project to continue for now
Image · Al Jazeera

What the report says

The US Supreme Court has temporarily allowed President Donald Trump to keep moving ahead with his $400m White House ballroom project while it reviews an emergency request from his administration. Chief Justice John Roberts issued the short-term order on Friday, pausing a lower-court ruling that would have blocked much of the construction in Washington, DC.

According to the report published by Al Jazeera, the dispute centers on whether the White House work required congressional approval. A federal district judge had previously ordered aboveground construction to stop, while allowing limited work tied to safety and security. An appeals court later upheld that injunction, and the administration then sought intervention from the Supreme Court.

The Trump administration has argued that the project falls within presidential authority to renovate the White House and other federal buildings, and recent filings said national security concerns justify continuing the work. The president’s plans also include a large ballroom intended for state dinners and events. The article says the East Wing was demolished in October to make room for the project, and that crews have been working extensively on the site.

The case reflects a broader legal fight over Trump’s efforts to reshape parts of the capital and expand executive power. The report also notes that preservation groups have challenged the project, saying the White House cannot be altered unilaterally and that Congress should decide whether such a major change proceeds.

Read the full report at Al Jazeera →

Loading debate for this article…

Other publishers covering this story

No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Related reporting