Bolivia’s President Rodrigo Paz fires economy minister amid unrest

What the report says
Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz has removed Economy Minister Jose Gabriel Espinoza after the minister was censured by Congress, according to Al Jazeera. The decree announcing the change was published on Friday in Bolivia’s official gazette and names Oscar Mario Justiniano Pinto as interim economy minister until a permanent replacement is chosen. No timetable was given for naming a new minister.
The dismissal came days after lawmakers voted to censure Espinoza when he did not appear before the legislature to answer questions about the economy. Under Bolivia’s constitution, that censure opens the way for removal. Al Jazeera said the move appears to reverse an earlier stance from Paz’s government, which had said it would contest the congressional decision while the matter was reviewed by a tribunal.
The change is unfolding amid broader unrest and economic strain in Bolivia. Paz, elected last year and inaugurated in November after nearly two decades of rule by the Movement Toward Socialism, has promised stability while trying to manage inflation, public anger over subsidies and other reform efforts, and lower foreign currency reserves linked to the decline in natural gas output. Al Jazeera reported that his administration is also seeking support for economic reforms and a financing package from the International Monetary Fund.
The outlet also noted that opposition lawmakers framed the minister’s removal as a gesture toward cooperation with Congress, while supporters of former president Evo Morales continue to resist Paz’s agenda and broader austerity measures.
Loading debate for this article…
Other publishers covering this story
No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Turkey Requests Netanyahu’s Arrest, Saying Israel Abused Flotilla ActivistsNew York Times World
Pope Leo urges the world to ‘help begin reconstruction’ of GazaAl Jazeera
Western allies slam Israel for ending World Central Kitchen strike probeAl Jazeera
US Supreme Court allows Trump’s ballroom project to continue for nowAl Jazeera