US Navy destroyer spent four days without power last month in South China Sea

What the report says
A US Navy guided-missile destroyer, the USS Benfold, spent four days last month without power during routine operations in the Indo-Pacific, according to a statement from the US 7th Fleet cited by CNN and republished by Nile Post. The breakdown was caused by an engineering failure involving the ship’s generators, and the Navy said no crew injuries were reported.
The outage affected more than mobility. The ship’s toilets, galley services, air conditioning and potable water were disrupted while the vessel was operating in the South China Sea in late July, when temperatures in the region were especially high. The Benfold was later assisted by other ships in the Japan-based USS George Washington Carrier Strike Group, including the cruiser USS Robert Smalls, which provided cooked meals. The destroyer was towed to Subic Bay in the Philippines for repairs, which the Navy said were completed by August 8.
The incident comes amid broader scrutiny of strain on the US Navy, as analysts and lawmakers have raised concerns about manpower, maintenance and the demands of global deployments, including operations tied to the Iran conflict. The Navy said the cause of the outage remains under investigation. The Benfold is one of the Arleigh Burke-class destroyers that form a core part of the fleet and are often used for high-tempo operations across the Pacific.
Loading debate for this article…
Other publishers covering this story
No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Construction Workers Strike Gold - LiterallyNile Post
From 1,000 Tickets for Sudanese to Four Decades of Giving: Direct Aid Continues Al-Sumait’s Legacy in UgandaNile Post
UPDF to Host 18th Inter-Forces Games in Gulu CityNile Post
MPs Demands Answers Over NSSF’s Temangalo LandNile Post
Budaka Officials Plead to Become State Witnesses in Corruption ProbeNile Post