256 Newsroom — Uganda's Digital News Infrastructure
Sports

Retaining top talent a challenge - Everton chief Kinnear

Share
Retaining top talent a challenge - Everton chief Kinnear
Image · BBC Sport Football

What the report says

Everton chief executive Angus Kinnear says keeping hold of leading players is a major challenge for Premier League clubs of the club’s size, even when results improve. Speaking to BBC Radio Merseyside, he said Everton want to keep attacker Iliman Ndiaye and hope to extend Jack Grealish’s stay, while acknowledging that stronger sides such as Newcastle and Aston Villa have also found retention difficult.

BBC Sport reports that Ndiaye, 26, has been linked with Saudi Pro League club Al-Hilal after a season in which he scored six goals and added three assists. Grealish, 30, spent last season on loan at Everton from Manchester City, making 22 appearances before injury ended his campaign in January. Kinnear said Everton have stayed in touch with him, but stressed that he remains a City player.

Kinnear also pointed to football’s spending rules as a key factor shaping Everton’s strategy. Premier League clubs are restricted by squad cost ratio limits, and Everton were previously docked points after breaching the rules then in force. He said the club wants to be ambitious while staying financially sustainable, rather than risking over-spending in one transfer window.

Everton finished 13th last season, their first at the Hill Dickinson Stadium, and begin the new campaign at home to Crystal Palace on Saturday. Kinnear said manager David Moyes believes the team can build on signs of recovery and make more tangible progress this season.

Read the full report at BBC Sport Football →

Loading debate for this article…

Other publishers covering this story

No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Related reporting