New Celtic signings unlikely before LASK tie but O'Neill happy for Hatate to stay

What the report says
Celtic manager Martin O'Neill says he does not expect any new signings to arrive before Wednesday’s Champions League play-off first leg at home to LASK. He indicated there is a strong possibility that no more business will be completed before the deadline, even though the club are still trying to replace Arne Engels after his move to West Ham at the weekend.
O'Neill said Celtic may have to manage without Engels’ running power against the Austrian side, with summer arrivals Camilo Duran and Kasper Hogh already making encouraging starts and recent signings Mika Baur and Haissem Hassan also in the squad. Baur is among the options to start in midfield, particularly with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain suspended and Reo Hatate not yet used this season.
Hatate, who is under contract until 2028, has been the subject of enquiries, according to O'Neill, but no firm offer has emerged. The manager said the Japan international has had a difficult spell and would ideally return to the strong form he showed earlier in his Celtic career. However, O'Neill added that he would be content if Hatate stayed and fought for his place.
More broadly, the situation highlights a late-summer transfer window challenge for Celtic as they balance squad changes with a key European tie and the need to cover recent departures.
Loading debate for this article…
Other publishers covering this story
No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Premier League chief says Fifa self-destructed over World Cup planNile Post
Vieira named new Senegal head coachNile Post
Premier League chief says Fifa self-destructed over World Cup planBBC Sport Football
Retaining top talent a challenge - Everton chief KinnearBBC Sport Football
Amama Mbabazi Named Patron of Kigezi HomeBoyzNile Post