256 Newsroom — Uganda's Digital News Infrastructure
Business · Luweero

Luweero Maize Traders Return to Block PRO Factory Despite Court Order

Share
Luweero Maize Traders Return to Block PRO Factory Despite Court Order
Image · Nile Post

What the report says

Maize traders in Luweero District returned to PRO Industries’ factory in Ndibulungi on Tuesday, pressing their demand for payment despite a High Court interim order barring them and their agents from trespassing on or obstructing the premises. According to Nile Post, police maintained a presence at the site and there was no major confrontation, though some protesters were cleared from the roadside.

The traders say they are owed about Shs2.6 billion for maize supplied through Lim Welo General Stores Limited and insist they will keep pushing for payment. PRO Industries, however, says its records show a smaller debt of about Shs1.7 billion and disputes the larger claim. The company has also alleged that some traders and weighbridge operators altered weighing records and related documents, an accusation the traders deny.

The dispute has already triggered protests involving traders from Luweero, Gulu, Masindi and other areas. A mediation attempt earlier in the week, convened by the Luweero deputy resident district commissioner, ended without agreement after PRO Industries declined to negotiate, saying the matter was already before court. Police later facilitated discussions at the factory, and both sides agreed to meet again next Monday.

The court order issued on August 17 remains in force while an application for interim orders awaits a September 3, 2026 hearing. The case matters because it combines a large commercial payment dispute with court enforcement and concerns about disruption to factory operations.

Read the full report at Nile Post →

Loading debate for this article…

Other publishers covering this story

No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Related reporting