Rubbish Fire Destroys Structure, Damages Six Rooms in Luweero

What the report says
A rubbish fire in Kalongo Village, Luweero Town Council, Luweero District, destroyed a makeshift structure and damaged the roof of six rooms in a neighbouring house, according to Nile Post. The incident happened on Sunday around 5:40 p.m. Police Fire and Rescue Services responded and put out the blaze. No injuries or deaths were reported.
The article says preliminary police findings indicate the fire began from uncontrolled burning of rubbish before spreading to nearby property. Ahmed Ndawula, 73, told the newspaper that he had been burning waste when wind pushed the flames onto his wooden structure. His home and belongings were destroyed, while his neighbour Ismael Suuna’s rooms were affected by roof damage.
Ndawula said he had lost nearly everything and asked the government, including the Office of the Prime Minister, for help. Residents reportedly tried to fight the fire before emergency services arrived, but were unable to contain it.
Savannah Regional Police spokesperson ASP Sam Twineamazima used the incident to warn against open waste burning, especially in dry or windy conditions. Police also called on Luweero Town Council and community leaders to promote safer waste-disposal practices to reduce the risk of similar fires. The case highlights a broader public-safety issue around household waste management and fire prevention in populated areas.
Loading debate for this article…
Other publishers covering this story
No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Luweero Bishop Warns Officials Against Intimidating School AdministratorsNile Post
MTN Donates 20 Mattresses to Luweero Hospital Maternity WardNile Post
Grain traders block PRO factory over Shs2.5bn debtNile Post
Maize Traders Storm Luweero's PRO Industries, Protest Shs3.5Bn Unpaid SuppliesNile Post
Luweero NRM leaders raise concerns over alleged vote buying in local electionsNile Post