256 Newsroom — Uganda's Digital News Infrastructure
National · Arua

Lukwago Withdraws From Besigye Defence

Share
Lukwago Withdraws From Besigye Defence
Image · Nile Post

What the report says

Erias Lukwago has withdrawn from the defence team representing jailed Ugandan opposition politician Dr Kizza Besigye and co-accused Hajji Obeid Lutale, according to a notice filed at the High Court in Kampala. The move was communicated on Tuesday by lawyers led by Medard Lubega Sseggona, who told the court that Lukwago would no longer take part in the case.

The development adds to a defence effort that has already been affected by legal and logistical disruptions. Nile Post reported that the withdrawal came only days after the High Court ruled that Besigye and Lutale still had access to adequate legal representation, despite the absence of some key lawyers, including Lukwago and Kenyan advocate Martha Karua. In that earlier ruling, Justice Simon Peter Kinobe said the accused had not shown that the missing lawyers had seriously undermined their right to defence, noting that they were being represented by a large team of advocates.

Lukwago, who is also Kampala’s former lord mayor, has been in custody in a separate case involving misprision of treason. His detention had already complicated his participation in Besigye’s defence. The article also places this latest change in a broader pattern of challenges facing the legal team, including previous disruptions involving other lawyers.

The case remains closely watched because Besigye is a longtime opposition figure and the charges against him and Lutale relate to alleged efforts to overthrow the government. Both men deny the allegations and are presumed innocent under Ugandan law. Lukwago’s exit means the defence will need to reorganize again as proceedings continue.

Read the full report at Nile Post →

Loading debate for this article…

Other publishers covering this story

No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Related reporting