Zimbabwe: MP Slams Harare Demolitions, Says Council Razed St Martins Houses Without Court Orders

What the report says
Zimbabwean lawmaker Trymore Kanopula, who represents Harare South, has criticized the Harare City Council over demolitions carried out in the St Martins area of the capital. In the account published by New Zimbabwe and distributed by AllAfrica, he said the houses were razed without valid court orders and described the action as a violation of residents’ rights. The demolitions reportedly took place last Friday in St Martins extension, opposite 1 Commando Barracks along Airport Road.
Harare Mayor Jacob Mafume defended the operation, saying it was necessary to enforce the law, restore urban order and address illegal settlements, while also acknowledging the scene was distressing. Kanopula argued in Parliament that the city should not have proceeded without legal authority and said the affected housing project had already been approved, with servicing underway.
The legislator called on Local Government Minister Daniel Garwe to consider a pause on further demolitions in Harare until a broader audit and verification process is completed. He also urged an investigation into how the land was allocated and into the roles of the parties involved. The report highlights the recurring tension in Zimbabwe’s cities between enforcement against informal development and demands for lawful, consultative regularization of housing areas.
Loading debate for this article…
Other publishers covering this story
No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Several people injured in sword attack at Swedish schoolAl Jazeera
Trump’s ‘economic D-Day’ claims first victim: Not Iran, but US marketsAl Jazeera
Ebola vaccine trial to start in DR Congo as warning issued over speed of infectionsBBC Africa
Ebola outbreak ‘growing faster, wider’ as DRC death toll passes 2,500: UNAl Jazeera
Liverpool preview: Five key questions heading into 2026-27 seasonAl Jazeera
Weddings in Gaza offer rare moments of joy amid genocideAl Jazeera