US Postal Service shares mail-in ballot restrictions despite court ruling

What the report says
The US Postal Service has released a final draft of proposed mail-in ballot rules even though federal courts have already blocked the plan from taking effect, according to Al Jazeera. The update was posted Friday and appears designed to let the restrictions start quickly if the injunctions are lifted. The reporting says the measures stem from an executive order issued by President Donald Trump earlier this year.
Under the proposal, USPS would stop distributing mail-in ballots in states that do not meet federal demands for voter records. States would also need to identify voters who requested mail ballots and redesign ballot envelopes with barcodes so postal officials could track voting materials. USPS says the changes are meant to support compliance with federal law and improve mail handling, while critics argue the plan would expand federal influence over election administration, which is generally run by the states.
Al Jazeera reports that 23 states and the District of Columbia challenged the rules, along with a separate lawsuit from voting rights groups. US District Judge Indira Talwani blocked the policy in June and again on August 11, citing concerns about confusion and the impact on the election process ahead of the midterms. The Postal Service’s move comes as Democrats and voting rights advocates accuse the administration of trying to reshape election rules before November’s congressional contests.
Loading debate for this article…
Other publishers covering this story
No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Trump’s Top Trade Representative Details Offer That Canada RefusedNew York Times World
Israeli army and settlers injure several Palestinians across West BankAl Jazeera
Iran grants permission for some Iraqi oil tankers to pass through HormuzAl Jazeera
Why is Israel building new illegal settlements?Al Jazeera
More than 200,000 newly displaced in Sudan’s Kordofan regionAl Jazeera
Israeli strikes kill two and injure others as Gaza attacks continueAl Jazeera