US imposes 50% tariffs on $20bn worth of Canadian goods after talks fail

What the report says
The United States has imposed 50 percent tariffs on more than $20bn worth of Canadian goods after trade talks between Washington and Ottawa failed to produce a deal, Al Jazeera reported. The move followed three days of negotiations in Washington, DC, and came as a deadline set by US President Donald Trump expired at midnight on Saturday.
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said Canada would respond with retaliatory tariffs “dollar for dollar” and pledged additional support in the coming days for workers and businesses affected by the dispute. According to Al Jazeera, Carney said progress had been made in recent weeks, but not enough to meet Canada’s objectives.
US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer blamed Canada for the breakdown, saying Ottawa declined to finalize an agreement under terms previously discussed. He said the US had offered Canada preferential treatment compared with other major exporters, but that new demands and reversals by Canada disrupted the arrangement.
The new tariffs affect about 5 percent of Canadian imports into the US and add to existing US duties on Canadian steel, lumber and autos. The latest step extends an ongoing tariff fight that has escalated repeatedly since Trump returned to office and introduced earlier trade measures, with Canada repeatedly answering with countermeasures.
Loading debate for this article…
Other publishers covering this story
No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Canada says it will match US tariffs 'dollar for dollar' as trade talks break downBBC World News
U.S. imposes 50% tariffs on $20 billion worth of Canadian productsNPR World
Palestinian teen shot and killed in West Bank attack, UN respondsAl Jazeera
Nigeria and the Sahel: A growing security divideAl Jazeera
At least 13 Tunisians missing as migrant boat headed for Italy capsizesAl Jazeera