Ukraine’s ousted defence minister calls for elections during war

What the report says
Ukraine’s former defence minister Mykhailo Fedorov has publicly called for wartime elections, a rare challenge to President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s government since Russia’s full-scale invasion in 2022. In a video posted on YouTube, Fedorov argued that democracy should not be suspended indefinitely and said the country needs a lawful and practical way to restore its full democratic process even during a prolonged war, according to Al Jazeera.
The appeal comes after Fedorov was dismissed from the defence ministry in July, six months after his appointment. Al Jazeera reported that his removal triggered protests in Kyiv and elsewhere, and added that his firing was widely linked to tensions with Ukraine’s military leadership. Fedorov had been seen as a reform-minded figure and a longtime ally of Zelenskyy before the split.
Ukraine’s current law prohibits elections during wartime, and the country has delayed presidential voting under martial law. Al Jazeera said no major political figure had previously made such a demand publicly since the invasion began. Fedorov also described what he called a broader governance crisis and referred to corruption as a drag on the war effort, although he did not directly accuse Zelenskyy.
The episode matters because it highlights internal pressure on Kyiv at a time when the government remains focused on the war and on maintaining political stability. Al Jazeera also noted that the president’s office had not responded to Fedorov’s remarks at the time of publication.
Loading debate for this article…
Other publishers covering this story
No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Liberia agrees to take 1,200 third-country deportees from the U.S.NPR World
Attempts to curb Ebola cases in DR Congo fail with more than 5,000 confirmedFrance24 Africa
South Africa to Australia: Why coal profits are surging during Iran warAl Jazeera
Scaling back US-South Korea drills may fail to woo Kim away from ChinaAl Jazeera
South Africa: Jayden Meek Murder Trial Resumes - South African News Briefs - August 19, 2026AllAfrica
Zimbabwe: Police Name 39 More Victims of Kariba Boat Tragedy, Among Them 21 ChildrenAllAfrica