256 Newsroom — Uganda's Digital News Infrastructure
World

UAE imposes indefinite trade embargo on Iran over alleged missile attacks

Share
UAE imposes indefinite trade embargo on Iran over alleged missile attacks
Image · Al Jazeera

What the report says

The United Arab Emirates has imposed an indefinite trade embargo on Iran after accusing Iranian forces of firing two ballistic missiles at the country, according to Al Jazeera’s reporting on Wednesday, 19 August 2026. The UAE Foreign Ministry said the move was taken in response to regional escalation that threatened peace and security, and stated that all trade, commercial exchanges and financial transactions with Iran would be halted until further notice.

The UAE Defence Ministry said its air defences detected two missiles launched from Iran, with one landing in territorial waters and the other falling outside them. It said the weapons were aimed at maritime traffic and vowed to respond firmly to any threat to national security or shipping in the region. Tehran rejected the accusation, calling it baseless. Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei suggested the incident could have been a “false flag” episode and said the claim violated the principle of good neighbourliness.

The dispute comes amid an already volatile period in the Gulf, following months of conflict and stalled US-Iran talks. Al Jazeera also noted that the UAE had previously suspended direct cargo shipping with Iran after the war began, then resumed trade through Dubai’s Jebel Ali Port in late June. The embargo matters because Dubai has been a major commercial and financial route for Iran, and analysts cited by Al Jazeera said the restriction could be more disruptive than some US sanctions measures.

Read the full report at Al Jazeera →

Loading debate for this article…

Other publishers covering this story

No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Related reporting