Trump says no talks planned with Iran amid anger over Iran-Oman Hormuz deal

What the report says
President Donald Trump said the United States is not holding talks with Iran and has no negotiations scheduled, even as regional mediation efforts continue around the Strait of Hormuz. In comments posted on social media on Tuesday, he said the naval blockade of Iranian ports remains in force while other maritime traffic can pass through the waterway. He also shared a map presenting the strait as U.S. territory. Al Jazeera reported that the remarks marked another reversal after Trump had said a day earlier that Washington was in back-channel contact with Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, a claim Tehran rejected.
The dispute comes as Iran and Oman keep discussing how to manage the strategic strait. Al Jazeera said Iran has linked any reopening of Hormuz to U.S. compliance with terms set out in a June memorandum of understanding aimed at ending hostilities that began in March. Iranian officials, including deputy foreign minister Kazem Gharibabadi and parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, used social media and state media to restate that position and criticize Trump’s statements.
A U.S. official told Al Jazeera that positive talks had been ongoing, but that Trump had decided to pause and wait for Tehran to be ready for a deal. Qatar said mediators are awaiting the expected Iran-Oman arrangement before pressing Washington and Tehran to resume negotiations. The article also noted broader regional tension, including a missile alert in the United Arab Emirates and reported air strikes on a Syrian military base, underscoring the fragility of the wider security environment around the conflict.
Loading debate for this article…
Other publishers covering this story
No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Trump administration moves to end rule protecting swaths of forest landAl Jazeera
Why is the US ramping up Tomahawk production?Al Jazeera
Syria opens Assad-era nuclear programme to UN probeAl Jazeera
Congo Ebola outbreak ‘global emergency’ as infections pass 5,000: WHOAl Jazeera
Deadly Israeli Strike on Gaza Raises Doubts About Trump Peace PlanNew York Times World
Israeli strike reported to kill at least six in Gaza CityAl Jazeera