South Africa: Marikana Families Still Wait for Justice 14 Years Later

What the report says
Fourteen years after the Marikana massacre, families of the 34 mineworkers killed by police in South Africa are still waiting for a legal resolution, according to a Scrolla report distributed by AllAfrica. The article says the killings took place on 16 August 2012 at Lonmin’s platinum mine near Rustenburg in North West, during a strike over pay, and that dozens more workers were wounded.
The report says the violence at Marikana began before the police shooting, with 10 additional deaths in the days leading up to the massacre. It notes that the total number of people killed in the wider unrest was 44. Families, unions and community members were expected to gather at the Marikana koppie for the anniversary, which remains a symbolic site of remembrance and grievance.
A central point in the article is the continuing lack of accountability. It says there has been no successful prosecution over the police killings, and officers who previously faced charges were acquitted. The piece also refers to ongoing civil claims and to earlier legal and official inquiries examining the roles of police, Lonmin and labor groups.
The article adds that the Marikana Commission criticized Lonmin’s response to the danger, as well as actions by the police and the National Union of Mineworkers. In broader context, Marikana remains important in South African public debate because it is tied to labor rights, policing, inequality and long-running demands for justice.
Loading debate for this article…
Other publishers covering this story
No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Top Zambian opposition figures arrested days after presidential voteBBC Africa
Eurostar rival finally gets go aheadSky News World
Zambia: Hichilema Takes Early Lead in Elections - Electoral CommissionAllAfrica
Africa: All of Africa Today - August 17, 2026AllAfrica