256 Newsroom — Uganda's Digital News Infrastructure
World

Qatar rejects Iran’s ‘false’ claims about missing pilots

Share
Qatar rejects Iran’s ‘false’ claims about missing pilots
Image · Al Jazeera

What the report says

Qatar has rejected Iran’s accusation that it is holding three military pilots whose aircraft were shot down during early fighting linked to the recent regional war, saying the claim is baseless and inconsistent with the facts. According to Al Jazeera’s report, Qatar’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Majed al-Ansari made the denial during a news conference in Doha on Tuesday, saying the aircraft had violated Qatar’s sovereignty and were handled under the law.

Al-Ansari said Qatar had already returned the remains of one pilot to an Iranian delegation after they were found last April. He also said Doha had invited Iran to send a technical team to review the search operation, but that Tehran did not respond. The spokesman dismissed Iran’s call for Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps involvement as a media tactic.

The dispute follows Iranian claims that three pilots survived plane crashes in March and were secretly detained. Iranian officials, according to the report, have asked the International Committee of the Red Cross to intervene. Qatar’s response adds to tensions over incidents that unfolded during strikes around the Al Udeid airbase, which hosts US Central Command personnel.

The broader context is a fragile ceasefire environment after months of regional hostilities involving Iran, Qatar and other Gulf states. The issue matters because it touches on sovereignty claims, wartime conduct and the handling of military casualties and detainees, all of which can complicate efforts to sustain diplomatic talks.

Read the full report at Al Jazeera →

Loading debate for this article…

Other publishers covering this story

No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Related reporting