256 Newsroom — Uganda's Digital News Infrastructure
National · Entebbe

Power Shutdown Disrupts Entebbe Expressway Tolling at Kajjansi

Share
Power Shutdown Disrupts Entebbe Expressway Tolling at Kajjansi
Image · Nile Post

What the report says

Nile Post reports that a power outage briefly disrupted tolling at the Kajjansi Toll Plaza on the Kampala-Entebbe Expressway, forcing authorities to let motorists pass without paying while the system was restored. The incident caused a temporary traffic build-up on Monday before operations resumed.

According to the report, the Ministry of Works and Transport said the free passage was an emergency step allowed under the expressway operations contract to reduce congestion when toll lanes are unavailable. Ministry spokesperson Allan Ssempebwa said the measure was intended to limit inconvenience while technical teams worked to stabilise the system. The ministry later said the tolling operation had returned to normal.

The story also notes that there had been claims that staff at toll points including Busega, Kajjansi and Mpala had stopped work over delayed salaries. EGIS, the contractor responsible for toll collection, rejected that explanation. Its spokesperson, Joy Nabasa, said the interruption was caused by a technical problem affecting the equipment, not a strike.

The expressway is a major transport link between Kampala and Entebbe, and toll revenue is used to help fund its operation and maintenance. In general, such disruptions can affect traffic flow and revenue collection, although the article only directly says the lost revenue from the outage would be deducted from payments due to the contractor.

Read the full report at Nile Post →

Loading debate for this article…

Other publishers covering this story

No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Related reporting