256 Newsroom — Uganda's Digital News Infrastructure
World

Mourinho fires Real Madrid shot at Barcelona saying he ‘didn’t need’ Rodri

Share
Mourinho fires Real Madrid shot at Barcelona saying he ‘didn’t need’ Rodri
Image · Al Jazeera

What the report says

Jose Mourinho, newly back in charge at Real Madrid, sought to play down the club’s failed pursuit of Spain captain Rodri after the midfielder completed a move to Barcelona from Manchester City. In comments reported by Al Jazeera and attributed to the Associated Press, Mourinho said Madrid had made a strong effort to sign Rodri, including speaking with him twice, but that the player had doubts about the move.

Mourinho said Madrid could not rely on players who were unsure about joining, while also stressing that the team had enough quality without Rodri. He suggested Barcelona did not gain a decisive advantage by landing the midfielder, saying results and titles are what ultimately matter. The remarks came shortly after Madrid formally presented Mourinho in an unusual closed ceremony and just as Barcelona made Rodri’s signing official.

The article says Madrid had been linked with several other players during a busy transfer period, including Marc Cucurella, Ibrahima Konate, Denzel Dumfries, Bernardo Silva and Yan Diomande, following back-to-back seasons without a major trophy. Mourinho also indicated that Madrid’s transfer business was likely finished, though he left open the possibility of late market movement.

Madrid begin their La Liga season on Saturday away to Espanyol. More broadly, the episode underscores the continuing rivalry between Madrid and Barcelona, and how high-profile transfers can shape expectations before the season starts.

Read the full report at Al Jazeera →

Loading debate for this article…

Other publishers covering this story

No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Related reporting