More than 16,000 doses of Ervebo vaccine arrive in Ebola-hit DR Congo

What the report says
The Democratic Republic of the Congo has received 16,250 doses of the Ervebo Ebola vaccine in Kinshasa, with the shipment arriving late Friday as the country confronts its deadliest Ebola outbreak on record. Al Jazeera, citing AFP and AP, reported that these are the first doses from a larger pledge of 70,000 made by the World Health Organization and partners. More supplies are expected next week.
Health officials say the vaccine is approved for the Zaire strain of Ebola, but the strain currently circulating in the DRC is Bundibugyo, for which there is no approved vaccine or treatment. The WHO said early animal-trial data suggest Ervebo may still provide some protection. The country’s health minister, Samuel Roger Kamba, said the vaccine has been used previously, including during the 2018-2020 outbreak.
According to the report, 20,000 of the doses will be used in a late-stage clinical trial to test effectiveness against Bundibugyo, while the rest is intended for front-line and health workers. The outbreak has killed more than 2,500 people among nearly 5,300 confirmed cases, and the UN has warned that infections are still spreading rapidly. Officials and experts also point to conflict, weak infrastructure and delays in case detection as major obstacles to containment. These details underscore why the vaccine delivery matters even though the outbreak remains difficult to control.
Loading debate for this article…
Other publishers covering this story
No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

With the Uganda-Tanzania energy deals, Museveni pushing EAC integration into overdriveThe Independent Uganda
Waking Up to an Escalating Canada-U.S. Trade WarNew York Times World
Ethiopia uncorks a wine boom, Bordeaux vines driving exports and local demandFrance24 Africa
Pakistan’s PTI seeks contempt action over jailed Imran Khan’s hospital moveAl Jazeera
Manchester City preview: Five key questions heading into 2026-27 seasonAl Jazeera
Dozens missing after gold mine collapse in Central African RepublicFrance24 Africa