Lebanon hands former Syrian army general to Damascus after arrest warrant

What the report says
Lebanon has transferred a former senior Syrian army officer to Damascus, in what Al Jazeera reported is the first handover of a Syrian military figure by Lebanon since Bashar al-Assad was overthrown in 2024. The man, Major-General Adel Issa, previously commanded the Syrian army’s 17th Division and later led ground forces in Deir ez-Zur.
According to Syria’s Interior Ministry, Issa was received by Syrian authorities on Wednesday after Lebanese officials detained him and acted on a Syrian arrest warrant. The warrant reportedly includes accusations such as intentional killing, torture leading to death, and charges tied to civil strife and sectarian incitement. Reuters, as cited in the article, said Issa has denied the allegations.
The arrest came on August 8 after he reportedly went to the Syrian embassy in Beirut to complete paperwork, at which point embassy staff alerted Lebanese prosecutors that he was wanted in Syria. Lebanese investigators then took him into custody. The transfer reflects ongoing pressure from Damascus on Lebanon to act against former officials who fled after the regime’s collapse.
More broadly, the case highlights how Syria’s new authorities are pursuing accountability against figures linked to the former government. Al Jazeera noted that a Damascus court recently sentenced Assad in absentia, underscoring the wider push to prosecute alleged abuses from the conflict era.
Loading debate for this article…
Other publishers covering this story
No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Harry Kane scores goal by winning Golden Shoe for the second timeAl Jazeera
Nigeria’s election campaign begins with Tinubu’s reform testAl Jazeera
Iran war live: Trump announces ‘most crushing’ Iran sanctionsAl Jazeera
US national debt passes record $40 trillionAl Jazeera
‘We do not trust Israeli judiciary’ says Hind Rajab’s grandmotherAl Jazeera
Kosovo finds remains of at least 23 people in suspected mass gravesAl Jazeera