Landfill collapse in Guinea kills at least 30 people

What the report says
At least 30 people were killed when part of Guinea’s largest landfill collapsed in Conakry, according to a government statement reported by Al Jazeera. The incident took place in the Dar-es-Salam neighbourhood of the capital after heavy rain triggered a landslide at the dumpsite, burying nearby shacks around 3 a.m. local time on Sunday. Six others were seriously injured.
Al Jazeera reported that rescue teams, supported by excavators and other heavy equipment, were searching through the rubble for possible survivors and recovering bodies. Prime Minister Amadou Oury Bah visited the scene, while authorities said medical care and assistance were being arranged for those affected. Local officials said the site had been due for closure on the same day, and the government had recently ordered people living near the landfill to move away because of collapse risks.
Lancine Sylla, the head of the Dar-es-Salam suburb, said he expected the death toll could rise and said bodies had been taken to the morgue. Opposition figure Cellou Dalein Diallo called for a transparent investigation into the disaster. The report adds broader context that Guinea has faced repeated concerns over unsafe settlement and waste-site conditions, especially in areas exposed to heavy rain and unstable slopes.
Loading debate for this article…
Other publishers covering this story
No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Two killed after giant Ganesha statue collapses onto crowd in MumbaiAl Jazeera
Zhou Bo: China’s alternative to Western powerAl Jazeera
Palestinian teen killed in Israeli raid buried in Occupied West BankAl Jazeera
Video: Thousands of families flee fighting in Sudan’s North Kordofan StateAl Jazeera
Guinea rubbish landfill collapse kills 30BBC Africa
Trump has ‘run out of options’ in Iran war: Stephen WaltAl Jazeera