256 Newsroom — Uganda's Digital News Infrastructure
World

Jannik Sinner to miss US Open tennis major due to knee injury

Share
Jannik Sinner to miss US Open tennis major due to knee injury
Image · Al Jazeera

What the report says

Jannik Sinner will miss the US Open in New York after deciding he is not ready to return from a right knee injury, according to Al Jazeera’s report based on an Associated Press story. The top-ranked Italian said on social media that, despite working with his team and medical staff, he still needed more time to recover before the main draw begins on August 30. The withdrawal ends his bid to defend a title he won in 2024.

Sinner, 25, has been out since his Wimbledon triumph last month, when he beat Alexander Zverev for his second straight title at the All England Club. He also skipped the hard-court lead-in events in Montreal and Cincinnati. In his post, he said New York has a special place in his heart and that he was disappointed to miss the tournament.

The absence matters because Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz have become the central rivalry in men’s tennis, meeting in the last three Grand Slam finals last year. Alcaraz is expected to compete in New York after his own injury layoff. Sinner’s withdrawal also means he will miss a Grand Slam for the first time since his major debut at the 2019 US Open.

Read the full report at Al Jazeera →

Loading debate for this article…

Other publishers covering this story

No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Related reporting