Jaissle on pain which set him on path to Newcastle and speaking with Howe

What the report says
New Newcastle United head coach Matthias Jaissle has said the serious knee injury that ended his playing career at age 25 helped shape his approach to setbacks and opportunity, in comments published by BBC Sport Football. The 38-year-old, who has signed a four-year deal, described that period as the biggest setback of his life and said it taught him to look for positives in difficult situations.
BBC Sport reports that Jaissle has taken charge during a turbulent summer at St James’ Park, with Eddie Howe having stepped down and several senior players leaving. Newcastle have added six young signings so far, but the club is still expected to do more business before the transfer window closes on 1 September. Jaissle said he sees the rebuild as a challenge and insisted the squad would not use the transition as an excuse.
The new head coach also said he had spoken with Howe and expressed respect for what his predecessor achieved, including the club’s EFL Cup success and Champions League qualification. Jaissle wants his team to play aggressive, front-foot football and said that style should suit Newcastle. BBC Sport notes that the club finished 12th in the Premier League last season and that executives have outlined longer-term ambitions, including competing for major honours by 2030.
The article adds wider context around Newcastle’s recent upheaval and the pressure on Jaissle to guide a younger squad into a demanding season, starting with Liverpool’s visit on Sunday.
Loading debate for this article…
Other publishers covering this story
No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Damaged pitch forces PSG to switch season openerNile Post
Who replaces Salah as Africa's Premier League king?BBC Sport Football
Sabalenka stunned by Bejlek as slump continuesNile Post
Verstappen extends Red Bull deal to 2030Nile Post
Football DailyBBC Sport Football
Hoima gear up for AFCONThe Observer