Israel numbers Palestinian detainee foreheads: What we know

What the report says
The Israeli army has acknowledged that soldiers marked Palestinian detainees with numbers on their foreheads during a raid earlier this week in Qabatiya, a town south of Jenin in the occupied West Bank. Palestinian outlets first reported the incident after footage circulated showing a man with the number “44” written on his forehead. Al Jazeera said the raid took place on Monday, and that local reports described searches of multiple homes and the arrest of several young men.
One of the detainees, Ahmad al-Hathnawi, told Palestinian media that he had never previously seen this treatment during earlier arrests and detention periods. He said the marking appeared to be part of an interrogation meant to intimidate families and recently freed prisoners. Al Jazeera also reported that the army told the Times of Israel that commanders had made clear the seriousness of the act and that lessons had been learned. Palestinian lawmaker Ahmad Tibi criticized the practice as dehumanizing.
The episode comes amid a broader escalation in the occupied West Bank, where Israel has intensified raids and arrests and settler attacks on Palestinian communities have increased. Al Jazeera reported that settlers recently established tents on Palestinian land near Ramallah and that the village of Qusra has remained under siege for more than a week. The Palestinian prime minister’s office said there had been hundreds of attacks and dozens of demolitions in one week, underscoring the wider backdrop of violence and displacement.
Loading debate for this article…
Other publishers covering this story
No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Angélique Kidjo becomes the first Black African honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of FameFrance24 Africa
Watch: SpaceX rocket spotted off Christmas Island coastBBC World News
Palestinian refugee and two relatives drown off English coastAl Jazeera
Retail giant Target receives $1bn boost from tariff refundsBBC World News