256 Newsroom — Uganda's Digital News Infrastructure
World

Gaza holds mass funeral for 50 Palestinians killed in Israeli genocidal war

Share
Gaza holds mass funeral for 50 Palestinians killed in Israeli genocidal war
Image · Al Jazeera

What the report says

Palestinians in Gaza City held a mass funeral on Thursday for 50 people whose remains were recently recovered from rubble in areas hit in the early months of Israel’s war on Gaza, according to Al Jazeera. The dead were from several families, including the al-Sawafiri, al-Batniji and Gharbiya families, and the burials took place weeks after search teams found the bodies in neighbourhoods such as Tal al-Hawa, Zeitoun, Sabra, Sheikh Radwan and Shati.

The report says the funeral came as relatives of other missing people continued searching for loved ones believed to be trapped beneath collapsed buildings. Gaza’s Civil Defence estimates about 8,000 Palestinians are still missing. Al Jazeera also reported that recovery efforts are severely constrained by limited equipment, with officials calling for heavy machinery, forensic tools and other supplies to be allowed into the territory.

The latest burial highlights the continuing humanitarian toll of the conflict, which began in October 2023. Al Jazeera said the mass funeral took place amid ongoing Israeli attacks despite a ceasefire agreement that took effect in October, and it noted that thousands have been killed or injured since then. The outlet also said another mass funeral was held earlier in August for 112 Palestinians recovered from the rubble, underscoring how families are still receiving remains long after attacks took place.

Read the full report at Al Jazeera →

Loading debate for this article…

Other publishers covering this story

No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Related reporting