256 Newsroom — Uganda's Digital News Infrastructure
World

DR Congo, M23 rebels agree on roadmap for peace talks

Share
DR Congo, M23 rebels agree on roadmap for peace talks
Image · Al Jazeera

What the report says

The Democratic Republic of the Congo and an M23-led rebel alliance have agreed on a roadmap for peace talks, according to a joint statement reported by Al Jazeera. The agreement follows five days of talks in Switzerland from August 17 to 21, where representatives from the United States, Qatar, Togo, Switzerland and the African Union Commission also took part. The roadmap is tied to a broader framework agreement signed in Doha in November last year.

The statement said the parties outlined sequenced steps and timelines for negotiations, and agreed on a standardized way to report ceasefire violations. They also plan to create a mechanism to deal with problems in carrying out the Doha agreement. A ceasefire verification mission is expected to arrive in Minembwe, in South Kivu province, on Monday, highlighting the focus on implementation in eastern DRC.

The article notes that the peace process comes amid continued violence on the ground. An AFC/M23 spokesman alleged that government forces carried out drone strikes in Minembwe on Saturday, though Al Jazeera said it could not verify that claim. The wider conflict, which reignited in 2021, has displaced millions and remains tied to long-running regional tensions, including accusations between Kinshasa and Kigali over support for armed groups. The development matters because it suggests diplomatic progress even as fighting and humanitarian pressure continue.

Read the full report at Al Jazeera →

Loading debate for this article…

Other publishers covering this story

No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Related reporting