DR Congo, AFC/M23 group agree on roadmap for peace negotiations after Swiss talks

What the report says
Mediators for the Democratic Republic of Congo and the Rwanda-backed AFC/M23 armed group said in a joint statement published on Sunday that the sides have agreed on a roadmap for peace negotiations. According to France 24’s report, the statement followed a new round of closed-door talks hosted in Switzerland from August 17 to 21, with representatives from the United States, Qatar, Switzerland, the African Union Commission and Togo also involved.
The agreement is framed around the Doha Framework Agreement, which the parties signed late last year in Qatar. France 24 said the latest statement describes a sequence of steps and timelines for talks, along with a commitment to keep working within that existing framework. The parties also said they want to continue toward a broader peace settlement and conflict resolution.
A key practical point in the statement was an agreed method for documenting allegations of ceasefire violations. The sides also said a first ceasefire verification mission is scheduled to take place in Minembwe, in South Kivu province, on Monday.
The development comes against the backdrop of long-running conflict in eastern DR Congo, where armed groups have fought over territory and resources for years. France 24 noted that despite earlier peace commitments, fighting has continued, making any progress in negotiation and monitoring significant for civilians and regional stability.
Loading debate for this article…
Other publishers covering this story
No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Iran Warns Gulf States Not to Join Trump’s Economic WarNew York Times World
Zelenskyy says wartime elections could ‘destroy’ UkraineAl Jazeera
Real Madrid’s Mourinho condemns bullying of Vinicius after La Liga winAl Jazeera
Togo: Togo Says It Has 'Serious' Evidence Against Detained French JournalistsAllAfrica