256 Newsroom — Uganda's Digital News Infrastructure
Sports

Chelsea happy with Fernandez, says Alonso

Share
Chelsea happy with Fernandez, says Alonso
Image · BBC Sport Football

What the report says

Chelsea head coach Xabi Alonso says Enzo Fernandez has shown a strong attitude and is preparing well for the club’s Premier League opener at Fulham on Monday. His comments come amid continued uncertainty over the midfielder’s future, with Chelsea now telling Fernandez’s camp that he is not for sale in this transfer window after no formal bid arrived before the club’s deadline.

According to BBC Sport, Chelsea had previously agreed with Fernandez’s representative that the Argentina international could leave for about £120m, but only if an offer came by 14 August. That deadline passed without a deal. Manchester City have been linked with the 25-year-old as they look to strengthen midfield, while reports from Spain have suggested Chelsea may still be open to a sale behind the scenes. The article also notes that agent Jorge Mendes has been involved in trying to resolve the situation.

Alonso said Fernandez is “a Chelsea player” and that the club are happy with him, adding that he has integrated well since returning to the squad after the World Cup and is training well. The situation matters because Fernandez remains a high-profile and expensive signing, and any change in stance would have major implications for Chelsea’s squad planning just days before the season starts. BBC Sport also reported that he received a mixed reaction from supporters during a recent friendly against Real Sociedad, underlining the tension around his position at Stamford Bridge.

Read the full report at BBC Sport Football →

Loading debate for this article…

Other publishers covering this story

No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Related reporting