256 Newsroom — Uganda's Digital News Infrastructure
Sports

Barry-Murphy expects Cardiff to make signing soon

Share
Barry-Murphy expects Cardiff to make signing soon
Image · BBC Sport Football

What the report says

Cardiff City manager Brian Barry-Murphy says he expects the club to complete a signing before Tuesday’s Carabao Cup second-round match against Norwich City. Speaking after Cardiff’s 2-2 draw at Derby County, he indicated the club are actively trying to strengthen the squad, with centre-back among the positions under consideration.

The need in defence has been sharpened by injuries. Cardiff were forced to use full-backs Perry Ng and Joel Bagan in central defence at Derby after Gabriel Osho picked up a knee injury against Wrexham. Barry-Murphy said several defenders are currently unavailable, including Dylan Lawlor, Calum Chambers and Will Fish, leaving the team short of recognised options in that area.

Barry-Murphy said Cardiff are trying to make careful recruitment decisions that improve the squad without wasting money, and he stopped short of naming a target number of new arrivals. So far this season, goalkeeper Nathan Trott and attacker Jack Moylan have joined permanently, while full-back Calum Scanlon has returned on loan from Liverpool.

Cardiff, who finished runners-up in League One last season, are still seeking their first Championship win of the campaign. Barry-Murphy remained upbeat about the team’s performance at Derby and said he believes they will improve as the season develops.

Read the full report at BBC Sport Football →

Loading debate for this article…

Other publishers covering this story

No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Related reporting