Barcelona seal deal for World Cup winner Rodri from Manchester City

What the report says
FC Barcelona have completed the signing of Spain captain Rodri from Manchester City, according to Al Jazeera’s report on Aug. 18, 2026. The 30-year-old midfielder, described in the article as the World Cup’s best player, joined after a medical and the final transfer paperwork were completed. Barcelona said his contract runs through 2030.
The move is reported to be worth 76.5 million euros ($88.5 million). Rodri had one year remaining on his City contract before the transfer, and he arrived in Barcelona on Monday saying it was a dream to play for the club. The article also notes that Barcelona had been in the market for reinforcements as it looks to defend its La Liga title and maintain a squad built around several Spain internationals.
Rodri leaves Manchester City after joining from Atletico Madrid in 2019 and winning major honors there, including the 2023 Champions League final. He also won the Ballon d’Or after Spain’s European Championship triumph. His departure comes as City continues to adjust its midfield options, with Bernardo Silva also having left for Real Madrid, according to the report.
The transfer adds another major name to a Barcelona side already featuring Lamine Yamal, Dani Olmo, Pau Cubarsi, Gavi and Pedri. In broader context, the signing underscores how top Spanish clubs continue to circulate elite domestic talent, while Barcelona seeks to strengthen its roster for another league title push.
Loading debate for this article…
Other publishers covering this story
No additional verified coverage is currently clustered with this report.

Ireland's TikTok joyriders: The young men 'dying for likes'Sky News World
Landmark trial on Meta’s impact on children’s mental health begins in USAl Jazeera
Israeli strike on Gaza City cafe kills six, including childAl Jazeera
Police attack Indonesian student protesters, arresting at least 21Al Jazeera
Nigeria hospital collapses after rain washed away its foundationsAl Jazeera